Sunday, October 16, 2011

Sock Loom Project

Normally I find it difficult to do a project that can be done faster and easier with a machine, but I decided I wanted to try making myself some socks, the sort-of old fashioned way. After doing some research I found that circular sock machines were really popular in the 1800's and early 1900's but they can cost thousands of dollars for a refurbished one, I wasn't planning on making that many socks, as far as I could research (google), I couldn't find anyone manufacturing modern day ones except for the super expensive computerized ones. I didn't even think that there was such a thing as a sock loom, I thought you had to do them with needles and that was out of the question for me, my knitting isn't that great with only 2 needles and for socks it takes like 4-5 needles. But alas, I found this handy little adjustable sock loom, and best of all they had it on sale at Joann's for only $18 and change.
After casting on and doing a few rows I realized I wouldn't be wearing these socks anytime soon, it is a slow process and the yarn is very fine.

I'm finally starting to see some progress, it gives me hope, I have already managed to get two blisters and a sore muscle in my shoulder, but I am determined to get this done.

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Jen said...

I knit my socks on one circular rather than double pointed needles! Much less messy. Still slow.