Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Quilt Binding Tool

So I stumbled upon this handy little tool while aimlessly searching the net. There is a video on YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex2PajesRvU
that shows how to use it. I always have a heck of a time getting this part of my binding right, I measure, pin, remeasure, pin again and finally I get it done, but it is such a pain. I love the idea of this tool. Anyway, I couldn't wait to buy it online and wait for it to arrive so I made my own, I also saved about $10.00 by making it myself. It isn't as pretty as the original, but it works exactly the same. I ran up to Lowe's and bought an 8" X 10" piece of acrylic for $1.98 and a little $3.00 cutting tool and whipped it out! I figured out the measurements by watching the video on YouTube, at one point they laid the tool down on a cutting mat that has 1" markings on it, so I paused the video at that point, it was pretting easy to figure out. It is 8 3/4" long and 2 1/2" wide, from the end to the marking is 6 1/4" then you just cut a 45 degree angle and cut off the 1/4" tip and there you have it. I used a sharpie to mark it, I wrote backwards on the underside, that is why my writing looks funny, I got my "U" backwards, lol. I did a test with it, and it comes out perfect. I can't wait to try it on my next quilt.

Here is the original.

Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the valuable information you provide in your articles. I’ll bookmark your weblog and check again here regularly. I'm quite sure I’ll learn plenty of new stuff right here! Best of luck for the next!
Abmat Abdominal Trainer - Crossfit Abmat - Core Exerciser

Anonymous said...

Couldn't I just use a thick piece of plastic? Like of that from a kid's toy package or anything along those lines... Might have to do that since I know I'll have tons of toys to open from my DD birthday! Thanks!

Dee Dee said...

Thank you.. I have been trying to get one of these, and can only get it from America . The postage is dearer than the tool .. Dee Dee . Glasgow

Anonymous said...

Spot on with your measurements. I just worked it out and then found your blog. Mind you I've watched that YouTube video quite a few times prior to working out the measurements. Well done. Lois Australia

nina said...

I found a better link that shows the tool better. check it out :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpHAp_pyVXQ

Anonymous said...

Fantastic! Thank you. I get my hubby to cut all my templates for acrylic tools!

Anonymous said...

Just what I was looking for, thanks so much!